Keep pace with technology and stay Microsoft Certified
Two years ago Microsoft introduced a great system for keeping current your certification. The role-based certifications has a time limited validity and Microsoft give the opportunity to take a free renewal exam!
We wrote about the renewal in our article Renew your Microsoft Certification , where you can find out the certification renewal schedule, the Benefits of renewing your certification, the requirements for the renewal.
Now we want to share some additional and updated resources.
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information, check out frequently asked questions about renewing Microsoft Certifications.
- Can I renew my certification before I receive notifications that I’m eligible to do so?No, the renewal assessment on Microsoft Learn is only available once you’re eligible – approximately six months before your certification expires. You will receive a notification email from Microsoft, alerting you when the renewal assessment is available.
- Is it mandatory for me to connect my certification profile to my Docs profile on Microsoft Learn?Yes, connecting your certification profile enables you to take the renewal assessment on Microsoft Learn when you’re within the eligibility window. You’ll also have a more personalized experience.As part of the renewal process, you will be required to use the same personal Microsoft account credentials for both your certification profile and Doc profile on Microsoft Learn. Please note that only one certification profile can be connected to one Docs profile. If you have multiple certification profiles, please contact Microsoft certification support team to merge your Microsoft Certification profiles before connecting to your Docs profile.
- What’s the difference between my Microsoft Certification profile and Docs profile on Microsoft Learn?Your Microsoft Certification profile holds the record of your certification history with Microsoft, and you access it with a personal Microsoft account. If you have registered for a Microsoft Certification exam or accessed the Certification Dashboard, you have a Microsoft Certification profile.Your Docs profile on Microsoft Learn includes activity history across Microsoft Learn, Docs, Q&A, and code samples. You access it using either a personal Microsoft account or a work or school account.
- I have a Microsoft Certification profile and a Docs profile on Learn, each associated with different personal accounts. How do I connect these two profiles?Before you can connect a Microsoft Certification profile and Docs on Learn profile that each use different personal accounts, you will need to choose a single personal account to use for both. To review your options for connecting these accounts, please see the document “Aligning accounts between Certification Profile and Learn Profile”.
- My certification expired. What happens now?If your certification expires, you must earn the certification again by passing the required exam(s).
- Can I renew my certification by passing a beta exam or by retaking an exam before my certification expires?No. To renew your certification, you need to pass the renewal assessment before your certification expires.
- Do all Microsoft Certifications have the option to renew?Microsoft role-based and specialty certifications that have been available for more than six months will have the renewal option.
- Do I need to renew my Microsoft fundamentals certification?No. The certification renewal process does not apply to fundamentals certifications since they do not expire.
- Are the renewal assessments aligned to the regular exam update cadence?Yes, updates to the assessments are aligned with certification exam updates.
- Which languages are assessments available in?Renewal assessments on Microsoft Learn will be available in the same language(s) as their corresponding certification exams.
- How many times can I retake the assessment?You may retake the assessment as many times as you need to take it to pass, and you must pass before your certification expires. If you do not pass the first time, you may immediately attempt the assessment again. However, after the second try, you must wait at least 24 hours before any additional attempts.
- If I renew my expert level role-based certification and it includes an associate-level pre-requisite certification, does my associate-level certification also automatically renew?No. Each certification must be renewed separately by passing the associated assessment.
- My expert-level certification requires achieving an associate-level certification as a pre-requisite. If the associate-level certification expires, will my expert level automatically expire too?No, your expert-level certification will not automatically expire if your associate-level pre-requisite certification expires. Each certification must be renewed separately by passing the associated assessment.
We are waiting for your experience on renewal
These are the most popular certifications
- Azure Administrator Associate
- Azure Solutions Architect Expert
- Azure Developer Associate
- Power BI Data Analyst Associate
- Azure Security Engineer Associate
- Security Administrator Associate
- Teams Administrator Associate
- Azure AI Engineer Associate
- Azure Data Scientist Associate
- Azure Database Administrator Associate
- Power Platform App Maker Associate
If you never took a Microsoft Certification, have a look at Value of a Certification!
Original reference https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/renew-your-microsoft-certification